External links in Tableau dashboards
An external link from a dashboard to a website or another browser-based system can be handy for allowing users an easy way to more information. You can insert a link in a text field on the dashboard - but it needs to be a full path (and links can get pretty long and ugly).
Full path link: //inviso.dk/2013/map-the-regions-of-denmark-with-tableau/
Link with a title: Danish maps
This workaround will do the trick and give you the ability to control the title of the link. The concept is to create a new datasource and let the data be a link by creating a dashboard action.
Step 1 - Add new datasource
- Create a sheet like this in excel. The text in row number 2 will be the link title.
- Copy/paste the data in Tableau or save the file and open it.
Step 2 - Visualize the title
- Move "Link" (or the name you gave the first row) into the Rows field.
Step 3 - Get rid of the "Abc" text
Create a calculated field by right clicking in the Dimensions field.
Fill it out with "black" as name and two quotes with a space in the middle as formula.
- Lastly drop the new calculated field on "Text" in the Marks shelve .
- And notice the "Abc" text is gone.
Step 4 - Format the title as a link
- Right click on "Link" in the sheet and "Hide field Labels for Rows".
- Fit the width og the second column to a minimum
- Remove the borders under Format -> Borders in the menu.
- Select "None" under the headers "Row Divider" and "Column Divider"
- Right click on the title and "Format"
- Give the text an appropriate link color
Step 4 - See the link in action
- Open a dashboard, move the sheet onto it and right click and "Hide Title".
- Remove the tooltip by selecting "Tooltip" on the Marks shelve and removing all the text.
- Select action from the "Dashboard" menu
- Select "Add Action" and "URL"
- Fill in the URL field and pick "Select" "Run action on".
- And enjoy the link!
Checkout the workbook for this example: Link from viz